Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:42:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, David Schultz wrote:

> Thus spake f.johan.beisser <jan@caustic.org>:
> > of course, the only BSD i've found to be particulary user-unfriendly is
> > netbsd. and that, it seems, is a problem with disk partitioning during the
> > install. something that probably could be fixed fairly easily given
> > motivation by the NetBSD team.
>
> I think FreeBSD's installer could be better, too, but it works in a
> fairly straightforward manner as long as you don't have strange
> hardware.

i've been told by quite a few FreeBSD newbies (that come over from various
Linux distros) that the installer was "easy to deal with" and "fairly
straight forward and simple". i'm not sure what could be changed, to make
it even easier to handle, and still remain powerful and simple.

> Debian's installer was fairly helpful, up until a point.  I refer
> specifically to the point where it printed an arithmetic overflow
> error message and proceeded to overwrite my hard disk with junk,
> apparently beginning with the MBR.  As for the correctness of
> the operating system itself, I can't comment.

neither can i, luckly, i have a debian committer here at work, maybe i can
pester him for one.

i don't have much experience with linux, since i've not used it in about 6
years or so. maybe the installer has improved (i've heard good things
about debian, even though it wouldn't boot on my sparc).

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche