Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:06:17 +0000
From:      David Heller <dheller1@rochester.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB question

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> David Heller <dheller1@rochester.rr.com> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
>  > [...]
>  > Please find below dmesg output and kernel config. Also note doing "usbd -d
>  > -f  /dev/usb0 " gives the following output: /dev/usb0 device not configured.
>  > The file is there under /dev/usb0.
>
> This is very strange.  The kernel does not even seem to find
> your PCI bus, and therefore it does not try to find any devices
> on it (USB controllers are PCI devices).
>
> Your kernel configuration looks OK to me.  (I first suspected
> that it was missing "controller pci", but it's there.)  It is
> most probably a problem with your mainboard and/or its BIOS,
> not with FreeBSD.
>
> What kind of mainboard do you have, and what kind of BIOS does
> it have?  Please go to the BIOS setup and check if everything
> is OK, in particular the configuration of the PCI bus and any
> PCI devices.
>
> Other than that, I have no idea what could causing these kinds
> of problems, I'm afraid.  Your `dmesg` output looks like your
> mainboard does not have any PCI support at all.
>
> Regards
>    Oliver
>
> --
> Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany
> (Info: finger userinfo:olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de)
>
> "In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
>                                          (Terry Pratchett)

Thanks for the help. I guess I just made up my mind about trashing my main board
for something
new or different as the original cpu installed in it was a Cyrix 686 which was
acting up (I have a Pentium installed at the moment which a friend is lending me).
As it will not be easy to find a replacement cpu for the main board and the main
board apparently is sorta flaky as far as PCI functions go. As it turns out I just
picked up a Gateway with a 133mhz Pentium which is working rather nicely. FreeBSD
picks up the PCI cards very nicely also.  I will be picking up a PCI  to USB card
shortly. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again,

Dave