Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:31:27 -0600
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation of FreeBSD fails on machine with large disks

I have a PC with the following configuration:

Pentium III 650MHz
256MB RAM
3COM 3C905C-TX
3 hard drives:
	Primary master:		IBM DPTA-373420
	Primary slave:		IBM DPTA-373420
	Secondary master:	IBM DPTA-373420
	Secondary slave:	ATAPI CD-ROM

The drives are all 32GB and all on the ATA-33 bus.  I have tried installing
FreeBSD 4.1 and 4.2 but each time, when the machine boots after the
install, I get a prompt:

No /boot/loader

 >>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default:  0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
No /kernel

 >>FreeBSD/i386  BOOT
Default:  0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

I've tried changing the drive modes in the BIOS, using NORMAL, LBA and
LARGE, reinstalling the OS after each change.  The result is still the
same.  I've also tried the STANDARD install and the CUSTOM installation,
even taking the defaults for the slice sizes some of the times.  Still the
same thing.  I tried the default slice sizes so that the "/" slice would be
at the beginning of the drive, hopefully within 1024 cylinders.  From what
I understand though, FreeBSD 4.2 doesn't have this limitation and can be
installed anywhere on the drive.

I can't see why there should be a problem installing on such a system with
these types of drives.  I haven't had any problems installing FreeBSD on
systems with 9GB SCSI drives or 13.6GB IDE drives.

Any information would be appreciated.  I would like to stay with FreeBSD
and changing the hardware in the system is not an option.  I've looked
through the Handbook, The Complete FreeBSD and the mailing list
archives.  There are some similar messages but nothing that points me to
getting this fixed.  I've tried some of the suggestions and have installed
the system over 7 times, all with the same result.  Booting off of CD2 with
the live filesystem, I see that the OS files are on the drive and I see
that there is indeed a /boot/loader but I always get the same message as above.

Thanks,

Oscar