Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 17:08:24 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        Barry Kirchgessner <barrykk@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie can't get past "boot:" prompt on new machine

Barry Kirchgessner <barrykk@home.com> wrote:

>I have received a reply that points out that the NIC I'm using, the
>DFE-530TX+, is not currently supported. It is listed as supported on the
>OpenBSD compatibility list, as is my SCSI card and Promise Ultra100
>controller. So I will give that OS a shot; though, while I'm waiting for
>their CD I'll try to install Linux on this machine, as I have to get
>some housekeeping done -- the machine I'm using to write this is failing
>and I want to get its data onto the new machine ASAP.

I found the following in LINT for FreeBSD 4.3:

# The 'rl' device provides support for PCI fast ethernet adapters based
# on the RealTek 8129/8139 chipset. Note that the RealTek driver defaults
# to using programmed I/O to do register accesses because memory mapped
# mode seems to cause severe lockups on SMP hardware. This driver also
# supports the Accton EN1207D `Cheetah' adapter, which uses a chip called
# the MPX 5030/5038, which is either a RealTek in disguise or a RealTek
# workalike.  Note that the D-Link DFE-530TX+ uses the RealTek chipset
# and is supported by this driver, not the 'vr' driver.

man(4) rl

Or if you don't have it running you can view man pages on line at:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?manpath=3DFreeBSD+4.3-RELEASE

HTH
John.