Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 21:22:51 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.diespammer@netfence.it>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can drive with 6.1 be directly transferred from one machine to another?

Garrett Cooper wrote:

>    So I was wondering if my disk with all of the compiled binaries for
> my 1.2 GHz could simply be moved from one machine to another and just
> work without having to reinstall or recompile FreeBSD or not.

Mostly yes.
You might encounter problems if:
_ the kernel you have been using doesn't have the module for some of
your new hardware (did you build a custom kernel?);
_ you compiled your system with a specific CPUTYPE and your new CPU does
not match that;
_ your disks are going to have a new name on your new system;
_ ...

These are almost always easily solved, but watch especially out for the
CPUTYPE thing.

  bye
	av.