Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2014 20:18:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
Cc:        corbe@corbe.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swamped with >100 npviewer.bin processes

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

>> From corbe@corbe.net Thu Jul 10 15:39:50 2014
>>
>> Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Not sure which list to address this.
>>>
>>> I use nspluginwrapper-1.4.4_3 with firefox,
>>> as per Handbook. Just noticed that I have 174!
>>> npviewer.bin processes after firefox is closed.

     [ big snip ]

>> Doing a 'killall -9 npviewer.bin' every so often solves the problem
>> for me.
>
> ok, so it's not just me. I'll try doing this,

Flash has been a thorn in my side for years. I've been doing `killall
npviewer.bin`, but a few months ago I whipped this up in frustration:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Keep punching flash in the throat
#
while [ 1 ]; do
   sleep 5
   echo "Flash is evil and must be destroyed"
   killall npviewer.bin
done

> but does this not merit a PR?

Not sure. I always thought it was an issue with flash itself, but maybe
it has to do with the linuxulator. I suppose a PR wouldn't hurt.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]