Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:42:35 +0100
From:      Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
To:        Jack Barnett <jackbarnett@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewall

Jack Barnett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 6.2 and setting it up as a network router/firewall.
>
> It has 3 nics, two of internal network (one is wireless, other is LAN) and
> third is to the internets.
>
> I plan on using NAT so both internal networks can get to the internets.
>
> In the FreeBSD documentation I see there are 3 firewalls, IPFIREWALL,
> IPFILTER and PF (BF?).   I just need to do basic filtering and just a few
> port forwards.  Nothing to fancy.  Which one would be recommended?
>
> Also some time ago, I seen that there was a graphical tool for doing
> firewall rules and would output into different formats.  Anyone know what
> that tools is called? (ie. just a little app that outputs a text file
> depending on what firewall you select as the option).
>
> Thanks!

The graphical tool you are thinking of is probably Firewall Builder
(http://www.fwbuilder.org),  it is also in ports (security/fwbuilder).
Firewall builder will 'compile'/generate rules for any of the FreeBSD
firewalls you mentioned.  Personally I would use PF but I guess there
are arguments for using each one in different scenario's.

Tom