Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 15:34:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bigby Findrake <bigby@ephemeron.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd rootkit

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Chris Byrnes wrote:

> That's not a wise request on a list like this.  Backup, format and
> reinstall.

Why not?  Surely you're not suggesting that a rootkit is a bad thing, or
that no one here would help him find one - wouldn't that be rather silly
of us?  If we knew where one was, wouldn't it make the most sense to make
sure that anyone could get there hands on it?  Isn't that (among other
ways) how open software advances?  I can't count the number of times I've
seen security people make the argument that everyone should own lockpicks.

If I misunderstood, you, Chris, what did you mean?