Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 2015 15:40:18 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 1205651 for review

On Tuesday, February 03, 2015 01:43:58 PM John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > Do not use a callout_handle.  timeout() is about to be removed from the
> > tree (there is only one consumer left).  Use a struct callout instead.
>
> Yeh, I was just looking at that for another reason..  I'll update it
> shortly..
>
> oh, btw, has it been anounced that timeout is being removed beyond
> -arch or -current? i.e. was it marked deprecated in 10?  if so, isn't
> that distruptive to third party code that might be using it?

There has been a statement of

"The timeout() call is the old style and new code should use the
     callout_*() functions."

in timeout(9) since 2003.  I reworded this to be more strong about 3 months
ago:

LEGACY API
     The functions below are a legacy API that will be removed in a future
     release.  New code should not use these routines.

This did not make 10.1 AFAIK, but will make all later releases before 11.0
hits.  Note that timeout(9) is always Giant-locked, so there is extra impetus
to not use it.

--
John Baldwin