Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:40:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Brian Mitchell <brian@saturn.net>
Cc:        FREEBSD-SECURITY-L <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: URGENT: Packet sniffer found on my system

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Brian Mitchell wrote:

> I'm not sure it is wise to announce to the world that you are not running
> a tripwire-style program.

    Now I didn't say *that*.  I just said I would like to have
something like tripwire to automate this for me, instead of diffing
md5 output via a script I cobbled together.  ;-)

    MD5 checksums of all files checked out (binaries, libs, lkms,
scripts, etc.), including /sbin/md5 itself.  There were no regular
files in /dev other than MAKEDEV and MAKEDEV.local (a favourite hiding
place for rootkit config files).  No unexpected setuid executables
have been found on any of the affected servers.

    I did find the following three files on one of the shell servers,
which suggests the original compromise started there:

-rw-r--r-- speff/user     2363 Dec  1 17:37 1996 usr/include/net/nit_buf.h
-rw-r--r-- speff/user     2628 Dec  1 17:37 1996 usr/include/net/nit_if.h
-rw-r--r-- speff/user     3016 Dec  1 17:37 1996 usr/include/sys/stropts.h

    The date on the files is worrisome:  they are over a week old.
The packet sniffer binaries and logs were no more than 24 hours old
when I discovered them though, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping
he hasn't been watching packets longer than that.  Thank god all our
root sessions are done through end-to-end encrypted connections...
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Senior Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.