Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:23:35 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Patrick Whalen <patrickwhalen@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 07:52:16AM -0500, Patrick Whalen wrote:

> Here's the output of pciconf -l
>
> chip0@pci0:0:0: class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70308086 rev=0x02
> hdr=0x00
>
> isab0@pci0:7:0: class=0x060100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70008086 rev=0x01
> hdr=0x00
>
> atapci0@pci0:7:1:	class=0x010180 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70108086
> rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>
> none0@pci0:7:2: class=0x0c0300 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70208086 rev=0x01
> hdr=0x00

This is an Intel USB controller chipset --- as it's a PIIX3 part, it
should be recognised even by some fairly old kernels.

> none1@pci0:19:0: class=0x020000 card=0x1020111a chip=0x12161113
> rev=0x11 hdr=0x00

This is your NIC --- it should be using the dc driver, and the PCI
vendor is apparently 'Accton'.

> none2@pci0:20:0: class=0x030000 card=0x89015333 chip= 0x89015333
> rev=0x16 hdr=0x00

This is a Trio 64V2/DX/GX graphics adaptor using an S3 chipset.
Again, this should be recognised by the system.

Something appears to be amiss either with the kernel you are
installing or your hardware, as it's not recognising a bunch of PCI
stuff that it really should.  Is this a GENERIC kernel as supplied
with the installation media or something you've customised yourself?

> I have 3 pci slots. The card is in the middle one. Of the remaining two
> slots, one has a modem, and the other is empty. Does it matter where
> the card goes?

That shouldn't really matter, but unless it's a modem with a proper
UART (not one of those 'winmodem' things), FreeBSD is unlikely to
support it out of the box.  If you're lucky you can use the
comms/ltmdm port to activate it.

> Do you have any insight into what faith0 means?

It's nothing relevant: see the faith(4) man page, or look at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=faith&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.6-stable&format=html

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way