Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 05:08:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Higher-level kernel config?

> > I'm curious: could there ever be a case where you would not want to
> > include a driver for hardware that was actually in your machine?  If
> > not, then I think dynamic autoconfiguration is the way to go.
>
> Yes, for instance I have a 3c509 in my system, and Win98 trys to use dhcp
> over it automatically, even though at the moment I'm not using an ethernet
> network.

1)	DHCP is not a driver.

2)	Windows 98's (I assume a beta) use of DCHP by default is a
	configuration error.  You should be led through a "setup
	wizard" instead.  Even so, it allows you to "ignore these
	messages in the future" -- effectively disabling it.

3)	Windows 98 is a bad reference anyway; the built-in browser
	will not connect to https: servers without you paying for
	a commercial security certificate (unlike IE3.x and NetScape,
	both of which prompt you to allow the site without a
	certificate).  For example.

> Or say if I wanted to use my external modem instead of my
> internal without changing my /dev/modem symlink.

Ah.  Here's your error: /dev should be mounted as devfs, and it should
be impossible for you to create symlinks like this.  Even so, this is
a user configuration option for the terminal/ppp software, not for a
system-wide default.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---