Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 12:50:16 -0700
From:      "Atom Powers" <atom.powers@gmail.com>
To:        "Garrett Cooper" <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can drive with 6.1 be directly transferred from one machine to another?

On 5/24/06, Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> my 1.2 GHz could simply be moved from one machine to another and just
> work without having to reinstall or recompile FreeBSD or not. I would
> think that I could just move the drive to another machine and boot from
> it, given the fact that Intel loves making their instruction sets
> backwards compatible, but I just need to make sure since I don't want to
> invest in something more expensive and discover I have to start from
> square one.

I do this fairly often, between similar architectures, using the
default kernel.
You may have to update hostname, IP, DHCP config, etc depending on how
your system/network is configured.

But, as always, make sure you have a good backup. You should also have
a live cd (like FreeSBIE) handy in case your drive designations change
or some hardware is not supported.

--=20
--
Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--