Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:09:41 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>, "David Caldwell" <dns@knology.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Am I thinking straight????

> Does your provider allow hosting .... or at least not view it as a reason
> for terminating your account ?? As I understand it in OZ, all present
cable
> / DSL providers will immediately terminate any homeuser (DHCP address)
> account found to be running a server. At least one has already firewalled
> out SMTP & according to some user reports, all cable / DSL providers
> regularly run portscans ... presumably to check compliance with their
> acceptable use policy.

The @Home (cable) network in North America (US and Canada) regularly runs
portscans, but any sane set of firewall rules will block all probe attempts
by their sniffer.  According to the AUP, it's forbidden to run servers, but
from my experience, they couldn't care less.  I've run mail and web servers
with public DNS records for the past year and nary a warning.   I think they
only really crack down on people who are abusing the service and are using
more than their fair share of bandwidth.

As for DSL providers, the story is a bit different.  Many DSL providers have
some strong telco inroads, and don't really want (or are, uh, "convinced")
to let residential users use their DSL connections instead of forcing them
into higher-priced "business" connections such as 128Kbps ISDN.  Some DSL
providers block port 25 and/or use transparent proxying on port 80.  Both of
these can interfere with SMTP and HTTP serving.  However, there do exist
providers that say up-front that serving is allowed, and just place a
bandwidth cap on serving.  (One provider I'm checking out right now caps
SMTP and HTTP "serving" at 200MB/month, which isn't too shabby for a
home-office type of setup.)

It all really comes down to government regulation (which you have plenty of
in OZ) and competition (which there isn't much of in OZ.)  Here in North
America we're blessed with a pseudo-inverse situation which means we can get
away with a fair bit :)

--
Matt Emmerton