Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2000 17:55:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Johan Petersson <kjep@usa.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bootable CD and tape drive

Johan Petersson <kjep@usa.net> types:
> Hi everyone,
> Here is my setup; a small network of three computers, two of which
> are running FreeBSD (4.1) and one is running Windows 2000. I have
> one SCSI DAT tape backup connected to the computer running Win2k.
> Preparing the HD for dual boot is not an option so I was planning
> on creating a bootable CD to boot FreeBSD on the third computer,
> so I can access the tape from the other two using dump/tar/rmt.
> The CD burner (SCSI) is on one of the FreeBSD computers.

If you installed sources, look in /usr/src/release. That builds the
ISO image for the "fixit" cd, which is pretty much what you're
describing.

BTW, last time I looked at rmt, it pretty much sucked. It was *much*
faster to just send the dump output to an rsh to the remote system
than ran a dd to block things for the tape drive. On the other hand,
that was a long time ago, and rmt may have been improved since then.

> I've been scratching my head a while about how to do this, specifically
> about how to prepare a file system for the boot CD. I would need to be
> able to enter multi-user mode, right? And what would the fstab look
> like, only one file system (root)?

You really don't need an fstab, unless you want to provide pointers to
other devices. At least, the "fixit" CDROM doesn't have an
fstab. After all, the kernel comes up with root mounted, and you're
not going to remount it to make it rw, so...

> Secondly, will I be able to restore to the FreeBSD computers after
> a crash? I would have to use fixit floppies on one of them since =

Well, if you build a fixit disk with the appropriate tools on it, yes.

> it doesn't have a CD, and I would need to be able to configure the
> network card (3com 10Mbit and NE2000 respectivly).

Again, none of that's a problem - just so long as you build the kernel
cd properly. Also again, look in /usr/src/release for the tools used
to build the boot floppies.

	<mike