Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 18:54:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      nop1@cornell.edu
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problems with make world (Sunday)

Hi again,

I did another cvsup (several, in fact) before posting my first message. I
also tried "make buildworld"  several times after the first build failed.
Of course, I removed obj directory in a manner similar to what was
suggested by some of you each time. I am using a very simple script that
automates the build from freebsddiary.org

Yes, it is the build that fails, not the install. If I remember correctly,
the build does not even finish building all the stuff in the tools stage
(but proceeds for a long time with no errors). I guess you'll have to wait
until I am done with my work for the day and get back to the
(non-networked) machine on which I have the build logs and post excerpts
from them.

My only guess at this point is that I managed to not have some C/C++
libraries installed... Well, FreeBSD 4.0 install from the CD set is quite
buggy, given that there are 4 CDs and some of the packages/distributions
on the first CD are dependent on packages on other CDs and fail to install
from the /stand/sysinstall, not even prompting you for the other CD. So
that could have happened. I am still hunting down various components
across CDs and adding them with pkg_add.

-j4 should only affect number of simultaneous processes. Since I have a
dual-processor machine, I may try -j8.

Thanks for assuring me that the branch is not broken. I was about to ditch
FreeBSD with disgust thinking that "these losers even have their stable
branch broken...". Just kidding!

Nikita.