Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:56:04 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <gdunng@mac.com>
To:        "Ulrich_Gruenebaum" <grueneba@luzi.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum list complains that one of my plexes is faulty

On Wed, 08 Nov 2000, \"Ulrich_Gruenebaum\" wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> > to mirror a pair of hard disks. I almost have it working, but vinum
> > list complains that one of my plexes is faulty. Is it really, or is
> > the vinum error message bogus?
>
> I didn't take a deep look into your debug infos,
> but I had a similar problem (posted yesterday
> to freebsd-isp and freebsd-scsi).
>
> In my case it seems that vinum's message was faulty.
> I just had to start the second subdisk seperatly, then
> it revived and afterwards everything was fine in the
> "up" state. I suppose that vinum wanted to tell me,
> that the second plex was not consistent with the first.
> Of course the volume works in both cases, whether
> the second plex is available or not, that's what
> you intend in the mirror configuration.
>
> This is an excerpt of the vinum commands I used:
>
>   create -v <configfile>
>   init -v -w mirror.p0
>   init -v -w mirror.p1
>   start mirror
>   start mirror.p1.s0      <--- before doing this, the second
>                                plex was shown as "faulty"
>
> This was my vinum config file (taken from
> the mirror example in the manpage):
>
>   # vinum config file
>   drive d1 device /dev/da1a
>   drive d2 device /dev/da2a
>   volume mirror
>     plex org concat
>       sd length 0 drive d1
>     plex org concat
>       sd length 0 drive d2
>

> Cheers
> Ulrich
>
> --
>  Ulrich Gruenebaum
>  grueneba@luzi.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de

Thanks a million! That did the trick.

Since my p0 was OK I ran (from the shell)
	vinum init -v -w mirrored.p1

This produced several minutes of disk activity and the curser waited until the
command finished. vinum list showed the plex up but the subsidk still faulty, so
I ran

	vinum start mirrored.p1.s0

The also produced several minutes of disk activity, but the process ran in the
background after displaying "Reviving mirrored.p1.s0 in the background." From
time to time I ran vinum list and where it used to display "faulty" it now read
State: R 1% with the percentage increasing each time I ran the command.
Eventually the background process reported that mirrored.p1.s0 is up. And it is.

--
 == Gary Dunn
 == Honolulu