Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:57:54 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Ronald 'Ko' Klop" <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
Cc:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>, Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Desperate to shrink a partition

Ronald 'Ko' Klop wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>
> > Now the problem:  When this system was setup (and partitioned) initially
> > it had a MUCH bigger swap space than physical memory.  It has since had
> > physical memory added however.  It now has 320MB physical and only a
> > single 140MB swap partition setup for it.  There are NO free partitions
> > and adding another drive to the thing now would be a MAJOR  hassle,
> > and the people who are hosting it for me (far far away) probably will
> > *not* want to even try doing that, even if I ship them a new/additional
> > disk drive for the system.
>
> You can create a file which you can use for swap. I don't know the exact
> syntax for it, but it's something with vnconfig and swapon as far as I can
> remember.

I doub't you could _dump_ to it though? - I thought dump wants a bona-fide
device to dump to, not a virtual device? (I could be wrong :)

You may get more milage by 'exchanging' your 140Mb swap partition for another
partition on the system... (Though the remoteness of the machine might make
this tricky), e.g. on our machines /tmp is 512Mb, so we could switch our swap
(128Mb) carefully for /tmp? :-)

-kp