Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 13:15:11 -0500
From:      "Joe Walsh" <crli@crli.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions (was: cvs commit: src/games/fortune/datfiles fortunes)

> >> "gh" <grasshacker@linkfast.net> 06/01/00 12:36PM >>>
> >
> > Ok, so we're agreed.  Two spaces at the end of a sentence is what =
we're
> > taught in the US, UK, and AU.  Any one from another English speaking
> > country care to share the rules from their freshman keyboarding =
(typing)
> > class?

> Actually, as student of an American school (albeit, not the best) I was
> taught
> recently that the two-space convention is antiquated and that in most
> modern
> writings a single space is more correct. I have always preferred the
> two-space convention
> becuase it not only seems based on research more correct but also more
> fitting.

> *runs back to mole hill*

> Dan

When I was doing freelance writing, my editor required that all electronic =
manuscripts be submitted with 1 space following each sentence, rather than =
2.  I believe the typographical layout software (such as Quark) then =
figures out how much actual space to put after the punctuation based on =
the needs of the line as it will be printed.

-Joe