Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:09:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Michael Oswell <oswell@xcert.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Tim Yardley <yardley@uiuc.edu>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: *BSD procfs vulnerability

:I've manually taken the information from the 3.x patch and used it to
:patch a 2.2.7 box we had here.  It appears to work, though all I have done
:to test this is run the exploit script that was sent to bugtraq.
:
:I have also run the patch against a 2.2.8 box successfully (and recompiled
:the kernel), though have yet to reboot to the box to be sure it works.
:
:The actual code in the patch below is identical to the one that was
:released for 3.2 (just manually inserted instead of using patch).  Like I
:said, it appears to work here, though I make no guarentees to anyone that
:this is the best or correct way to patch the 2.2.x kernels for this bug.

    Excelllent!  I am going to wait a maximum of a few days to see if my
    old ISP gets the patch in to give us some corroboration, then will commit
    this into the 2.2.x tree.

						-Matt