Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:43:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is BSD slower?

I dont know the ins and outs of either the hardware, or the programs
you've mentioned, but I can clear a couple of things up ;)

> I'm trying to explain to a pal who tried BSD recently why this might
> be.  He also had problems with running netscape w/o a.out X binaries
> (probably because he didn't use the port, right?)

afaik Netscape is aout anyway, so you need the libraries.

>  And he also said he
>  had to reboot to use newly installed libraries, that ldconfig did not
>  work.  He's an advanced Unix/Linux user, so i don't know what i could
>  do to help him

If he doesnt know how to use ldconfig, he cant be that advanced.  The
problem was most likely that the either the aout directories were not in
his ldconfig path, or that he failed to specifiy aout when using
ldconfig.  i.e. ldconfig -aout -R, perhaps used with -m and specifying the
aout directories.  If he'd have read the ldconfig man page, he would have
known this ;)

I'm not an advanced user by any means, I've only been using any kind of
UNIX for just under a year now, and I had no problem installing netscape
and using the aout libraries...

I'm not trying to insult his knowledge you understand, just giving you
something to tell him, so he doesnt think it's FreeBSD's fault he couldnt
set up netscape...

Cliff Rowley

- while (!asleep) { code(); }