Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 16:54:47 -0600
From:      Richard Seaman <dick@tar.com>
To:        "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with Staroffice5.0

On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 10:43:58AM -0800, Kevin G. Eliuk wrote:
> ~Hi,
>
> I have been trying for the last week or so to install StarOffice5.0 as
> described in the documentation <lt.tar.com>, and have yet to be
> successful.
>
> I get as far as:

> $ cd /home/cagey/so50/office50_inst
> $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/sv001.tmp:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> $ ./setup
>
> It gives the the message:
>
> ./setup: Window manager didn't set icon sizes - using default.
>
> After a lot of disk activity after which a full screen frame appears
> with "Installation" in the title bar(no window just the frame).  A
> smaller window appears with "Star Office Setup" in the title bar, the
> mouse cursor changes, and a 3D button labelled "Next".

Well, you certainly got past all the problem areas I know about, if
you get this far.

> This is where the whole thing freezes.
>
> The only activity that I can make happen at that point is some disk
> activity with moving the mouse.
>
> Later I thought I would try and see what kind of usage was going on by
> hot keying to a different tty and running top.  It appears that it does
> take a lot of resources up to that point.  And in this mode it completes
> the process of creating the setup screen. When I hot key back to the
> window session and use the mouse or keyboard it again freezes everything
> up again.
>
> I toyed with lowering the depth to 8 bit which allows the filling in of
> the "Installation" window, but it still locks up.
>
> I seen the post about the patch for the pthread code and will bring it
> in on my next build.

The linux threads "port" isn't necessary for emulation, and therefore
not necessary for StarOffice.

> One other note, I had to manually patch "/usr/src/lib/libc_r/Makefile"

Hmm... I'll look at this.  But, the patches that deal with libc_r don't
relate to linux emulation, only to the linux threads "port", so again
this isn't necessary for StarOffice.

> Any ideas on where I can go from here.

Only one.  I should note that I'm not a StarOffice guru by any means.
I've only tried it out as a test case of the linux threads emulation
code.

The idea is that StarOffice is a resource hog, and you don't have much
RAM.  I'm not smart enought to read the output you sent to find how
much swap space you have.  Is is possible you're just running out of
resources?  When I run soffice, just the initial program, without
actually doing anything, shows 24MB of resident memory and 32MB of
total vm memory under "top".  And, this is with my vm stack patches
applied.  I'd guess the vm memory would jump another 10MB without
them.

You presumably have an X server running, plus whatever else, so is
it possible you just need more RAM?  I've only tried it on a
machine with 256MB of RAM and 512MB of swap. :)

--
Richard Seamman, Jr.          email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450