Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 10:44:20 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
Cc:        Bob Bomar <bulldog@fxp.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting off Large Drives

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 03:26:28PM +1000, Andrew wrote:

> > If this was a BIOS problem, which I had a while ago with a 40 gig
> > in a P166, then the BIOS would not even see the drive.
>
> Well that gives me hope :-) I might just try reformatting and seeing if it
> goes away - perhaps I got a parameter wrong.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

You're not trying to boot from a partition beyond the first 1024 cylinders
of the disk, are you?  A lot of older machines had issues with this (see
Section 3 of the FAQ or grovel through the list archives -- it used to come
up a lot).  If this is the problem you might be able to work around it by
tweaking the disk addressing options in the BIOS to change its idea of just
how big the first 1024 cylinders are.  You might end up needing to have
small dedicated root partitions for both -stable and -current at the start
of the disk for them both to be bootable.

HTH,

	Scott