Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 20:08:03 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing ports maintainers

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 07:55:59PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Kris has been removing the MAINTAINER of lot's of ports.  Seeing as this
> is being done without even the hope of anyone else taking over, for the
> vast majorityof what is being done, has it been decided that this is a
> good thing?

Yes. Since people will send mail to ports@FreeBSD.org instead of an
"inactive" maintainer who never replies, their chances of getting help will
be much higher. That is the logic behind all of this moving. At least, that
would be my logic.

> If this is being done because Kris can't get a response when he wants
> changes, and he doesn't want to wait, I think that possibly he's doing
> folks a disservice, because I think some mainatainer is probably better
> than none at all, and for the majority of what he's doing, that's going to
> be the ultimate effect.

ports@FreeBSD.org is a better maintainer than many committers who are
apparently too busy to bother even replying to email to say "hi, i'm a
little busy, could you please have someone else look at this problem?".
There are real, live, moving people at the end of the former address.

This is not complete vanity. Some people CARE about ports that are supposed
to be taken care of by their MAINTAINERS. Waiting around for a maintainer
to upgrade a port that's been behind for months isn't much fun, and isn't
good for the reputation of the project.

That said, I'm all for removing maintainers who can't spend 30 seconds of
their time to reply to email asking about whether they'll fix or upgrade
something with a message such as the above.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>