Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:48:53 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        pstern <pstern@ptialaska.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.2 problems

pstern (pstern@ptialaska.net) wrote:

> I will try to do another install Tuesday night but I was using sysinstall
> to do the configuration initially and it sure looked like the old
> XF86Setup program to me. I also tried the older xf86config script with
> no luck. I'm not sure what you mean by build fonts during the install. I
> selected both the 75 and 100 dpi font packages for installation. I was
> under the assumption that the default install was XFree86 4.0.1 am I wrong
> and it installs 3.36?

The base FreeBSD system includes XFree-3.3.6, not 4.0.1.

Personally, I have a video card not supported by XFree-3, so I install
FreeBSD without X support, and then install XFree-4 from the ports.

> I have never had to install the wrapper before to run X as nonroot. When
> did this change? I did not select it during the 4.1 install and I can run
> X without trouble as nonroot.

XFree-3 ran setuid root, which is somewhat dangerous from a security
standpoint. In general, big complicated programs should not run as root.
If you install XFree4 from the ports, you will also need to install
Xwrapper if you plan to launch X from a console with "startx".

Personally I like the way FreeBSD "integrates" X. I recently spoke to
a Linux user who had never seen a plain text console display.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com