Date:      Tue, 01 May 2001 19:12:13 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        snap-users@kame.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au, altq@csl.sony.co.jp
Subject:   Re: (KAME-snap 4587) The future of ALTQ, IPsec & IPFILTER playing  together ...

Gunther Schadow wrote:
[snip]

... to make things even more complicated, we also have the
berkeley packet filter (BPF) mechanism. Heck! How could
so many things evolve that all do essentially the same
thing? The interesting thing about the BPF mechanism is
that it is very generic. Filter rules are instructions
of a virtual von-Neumann-machine (reminds me of 6502
assembler :-). Tcpdump uses BPF, at least on FreeBSD.
But I think BPF is available on all 4.4 BSD derivatives.

where does this fit in the crowd?

-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine