Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:48:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        tracker@worldy.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to set Freebsd boot bisk as secondary drive

> From: David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>

  [snip]

> I tried as you suggest and re-compiled my Kernel.  When I do the
> reverse of what I have been doing (boot on wd0 while my kernel is
> now configured for wd1) bootup message says "changing device to
> wd0s1a" and keeps going with a perfect boot.

I'm feeling dense.  With the drive with the root partition wired as
master (wd0), and the kernel compiled with "root on wd1", you're able
to boot perfectly?

> Just to try it, I wired the drive as wd1 again - no go -same
> problems.

But when you wire the drive to wd1 (still configured for root on wd1),
it wont come up?

>  What I did notice however is this; the emergency read-only shell it
> brings up it calls simply wd1s1a (a dev that does not exist).  When
> I do a df it shows the / file system as 512 byte blocks, while when
> I boot the disk without errors in the wired wd0 position, it comes
> up as 1024 byte blocks.  It is the same file system - same ratio of
> total to used to available blocks. Just double the size of each
> block.  That got me wondering if there is some config place where
> the machine is told what size blocks to use. I did grepped "512" and
> "1024" in /boot /boot/defaults and /usr/src/sys/i386/conf to see if
> anything is configed as such - no luck.

I have a device /dev/ws1s1a on my system, but the install might have
put it there based on what it detected or something.  If you intend to
boot from that drive, I'm sure FreeBSD would like to be able to access
it through its device entries, though!  It seems to me the system
should come to a screeching halt if it's required to access a device
for which it has no device entry, especially if it's the boot drive.
That it boots at all is either testament to greatness or indication of
folly.  Try

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV wd1

Then reboot and see if that changes anything.

I don't *think* there's a system configuration to select the block
size based on the drive device being used, but if it's guessing about
the drive because it has no device entry, it might be guessing
wrong...

--
Derrick Baumer
bduk@earthlink.net