Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 11:59:56 +0200
From:      Jos Backus <J.G.E.Backus@urc.tue.nl>
To:        mike grommet <mgrommet@ns.insolwwb.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of Freebsd machine as a dial up mail server?

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 08:46:06PM -0500, mike grommet wrote:
> #1 It must be able to disconnect on some sort of idle timer?  say 5
> minutes or so idle time?

Userland ppp has a timeout facility. See ``man ppp'' for details.

> #2 its going to have a local network ip number on his network (192.0.2.1
> or somesuch) but must "acquire" another internet type ip address when he
> dials in... I dont see why this would be a problem, but I want to make sure?

Again, ``man ppp'', look for the -alias option. That should do what you want.

> is there a method I can use to "kick" the mail server into sending to my
> clients machine upon connect or am I forced to wait until sendmail
> reprocesses the queue?  either way is acceptable, but the first is
> preferred of course.

Not quite sure what you mean here, but how about asking the provider to
perform a queue run a tad after the FreeBSD system connects? Should be easy if
they use something like radiusd.

And may I suggest qmail as a secure, easy to configure sendmail alternative?

 	http://www.qmail.org

Cheers,
--
Jos Backus                     _/  _/_/_/        "Reliability means never
                              _/  _/   _/         having to say you're sorry."