Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:04:56 -0800
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie Q: Packages or Ports?

Salvo Bartolotta wrote:

> [...]

I agree with you there, but just in the past few hours, I've decided
that the packages are so much nicer to work with :).
Also, you don't have to use /stand/sysinstall to install packages.  To
view packages currently installed on your system, use pkg_info.  To add
a new package, use pkg_add.  To delete a package, use pkg_delete.
For example, if you have a binary tarball named kdemultimedia-1.1.2.tgz,
just enter pkg_add kdemultimedia-1.1.2.tgz from the directory where the
tarball resides.  Within seconds, you will have that package installed
and ready to enjoy.

--
Best Regards, Joseph

	You will do foolish things,