Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 20:21:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      thursday@altavista.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   samba printing question

Hi,

I'm using FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE with whatever version of Samba that ships in the ports collection. I have an HP LaserJet 4L attached to lpt0 on the FreeBSD machine, shared via Samba for my local Windows users to use as their printer.

I've found that a header page (a single blank page) prints after each print job sent from one of the Windows machines.

This didn't happen on my FreeBSD 3.3 machine; I'm using the same smb.conf file.

The :sh: directive is set in /etc/printcap; I've not been able to find any helpful docs in the man pages or at samba.org; I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction...

Thanks!

P.S. I don't know whether a separator page prints after native print jobs; lpr file.txt results in the staircase effect, and the handy script in the printing section of the handbook simply caused the printer to print several blank pages; I haven't had time to troubleshoot...