Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 03:12:42 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>, java@FreeBSD.ORG, glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1 socket problem

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 02:38:20AM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
> Check this out:
>
> 	[billh@finfin]$ ../../../bin/appletviewer example1.html
> 	_X11TransOpenCOTSClient(tcp/gnuppy:0)
> 	_X11TransOpen(1,tcp/gnuppy:0)
> 	_X11TransParseAddress(tcp/gnuppy:0)
> 	_X11TransSelectTransport(tcp)
> 	_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient(tcp,gnuppy,0)
> 	_X11TransSocketSelectFamily(tcp)
> 	_X11TransSocketOpen(1,1)
> 	_X11TransConnect(5,tcp/gnuppy:0)
> 	_X11TransParseAddress(tcp/gnuppy:0)
> 	_X11TransSocketINETConnect(5,gnuppy,0)
> 	_X11TransSocketINETConnect: inet_addr(gnuppy) = ffffffff
> 	_X11TransSocketINETConnect: sockname.sin_port = 6000
> 	_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 56
> 	_X11TransClose(5)
> 	_X11TransSocketINETClose(81ad580,5)
>
> It's the debug log from XOpenDisplay and it's attempt at doing a connect().
>
> 	/usr/include/sys/errno.h:#define        EISCONN         56              /* Socket is already connected */

This is probably the same problem, given its the same errno :).

> The problem with X remote display and connect() in that example are definitely related.
>
> IP address value of 0xffffffff ? what hell ?
>
> What do you think Greg ?
>
> This could be a race of some sort. More investigation needed. ;-)

Try appletviewer_g.  I expect it will be the same as using java_g on the
previous example.  Basically you get an assertion failure about flags
being set on the file descriptor, which is an earlier symptom of the
same problem we're seeing here.  Haven't had time to track it down yet,
I'm going to try both a 1.2.2 and a 1.3.1 debugging version with logging
enabled and see if that gives any clues.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887