Date:      Wed, 28 May 2014 20:55:01 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: second call: dns/libidn staging broken

Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> writes:

> Kevin Oberman writes:
>
>> >       This port builds fine, or seems to.  However, when I try to
>> > install I get this:
>>
>>  Looks like it might be an issue with your build environment. Looks
>>  like you have customized your build directories (/data/port-work). I
>>  suspect something might be wrong there. I have seen several reports
>>  of issues when symlinks are used in these types of customizations.
>
> 	It's not a sym-link, it's an evnironment variable:
>
> WRKDIRPREFIX=/data/port-work
>
> 	This was done because certain large ports (e.g. libreoffice)
> were eating up all the free space on /usr.  So I pointed the work
> directory to /data, which has 200+ gbytes free.	This works fine except
> is rare cases like this one.
> 	So ... how do I go about further diagnosing the breakage and
> getting that to {maintainer, pkg-ng team} who can Do the Right Thing?

I've seen some funny things with WRKDIRPREFIX too, but I can't reproduce
them. I've mostly seen it on my chroot tinderbox, which always runs with
WRKDIRPREFIX set because the ports tree is mounted read-only. The
tinderbox is currently broken for other reasons.

I tried rebuilding libidn on the host system (outside the tinderbox),
but it didn't break (with and without WRKDIRPREFIX, with portmaster or
"make install"). I guess I need to fix my tinderbox to get further...