Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:53:44 +0100
From:      Ian Diddams <didds@freenet.uk.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   radius help needed desperately before I slit my wrists

Needing to upgrade the original radius server which has been running
here for ever with nothing dicumented, previous sys admins left company
blah blah blah etc etc usual nightmare scenario, I'm at my wits end.

Sure I've found the ascend-radius port.  And installed it.  But the only
help I can find is
man radius.conf which is about as clear as mud to me as I am obviously
completely useless and lower on the useful ladder than a dead sea slug.
So I  need, desperately, some pointers with this stuff...

I've also found some html helps for radius but while they glibly imply
"run radiusd with a -f /etc/passwd" I can'y actually find any real help
- like is that all I need?  Does this make a users file that is
didtinctly un passwd file like irrelevant?  Does it automatically create
a users file from /etc/passwd? Do I need to painstakingly create a users
file by hand to equate to entries to /etc/passwd?  What is the meaning
of life?  Why is the colour green?

We would like to configure radius to use the existing passwd file,
preferably served by NIS.  If a NIS served file is not possible we can
always ypcat passwd to a file, and run radius using that file I guess,
so that's not a major hassle.

But, bottom line, what do I need to do?  (suggestions to get a life
would be followed if there is life after radius.  But radius must come
fuirst at the moment)

(sobs silently to himself, gibbering in the corner of the server
room...)

Didds