Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:13:15 -0600
From:      Michael Hill <msh@qadas.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Please help - kernel giving weird ethernet error

I recently built a FreeBSD system to use as a router for my home
network.  I installed from the FreeBSD 2.2.7 CD-ROM, dated ca. August
1998.

The network card (PCI) is recognized as lnc1: NE2100 according to the
boot messages.  I can ping the BSD system from other systems on my
network, and can ping them from the BSD system.  I can telnet to the BSD
system, and I think I can also telnet out from it.

During boot, and on every network access, I get a message on the console
and in the messages file:

	/kernel: lnc1: Heartbeat error -- SQE test failed

I've built a custom kernel with support for just the lnc0 hardware,
but the error is still there.  Could it be a driver issue?  ISTM the
release is still recent enough that it shouldn't be the driver....

Can you please help me figure out what's wrong?  TIA!

--
			--Michael

Michael Hill   <><  Isaiah 9:6 | "Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest
Michael_Hill@csgsystems.com    |  profession.  I have come to realize that it
Aerospace/Software Engineer    |  bears a very close resemblance to the first."
CSG Systems, Inc.              |                     -- President Ronald Reagan
http://www.qadas.com/~msh/     |
---In a marketplace (like the one of ideas), not everything has equal value!---
Did you ever notice that everybody in favor of abortion has already been born?!

--
			--Michael

Michael Hill   <><  Isaiah 9:6 | "Oh Daddy please, come find the time,
Michael_Hill@csgsystems.com    |  Come watch us growing [...]
Aerospace/Software Engineer    |  Our Father, far Father, well let's talk about
CSG Systems, Inc.              |  Our Father, far, farther away"
http://www.qadas.com/~msh/     |                       -- Extreme, "Our Father"