Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 16:15:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bryan Liesner <bleez@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Victor Tsang <victor.tsang@ieee.org>
Cc:        Bryan Liesner <bleez@bellatlantic.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE and nat

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Victor Tsang wrote:

>Bryan Liesner wrote:
>
>> >My environment is one FreeBSD running as gateway, connecting my LAN and
>> >ISP using PPPoE and there is a Macintosh running Darwin in the LAN for
>> >my testing purpose.
>> >
>> >Either I don't enable NAT in rc.conf, or set ppp_nat="YES" , the
>> >behaviors are the same:
>> >
>> >In Macintosh, when I telnet to outside world, I can see the login screen
>> >and login prompt. Once I key in the user name and password, there is
>> >nothing to show on screen and eventually the telnet timeout and
>> >disconnected.
>> >

>> I had a similar problem with nat and a Win98 box.  If the FreeBSD
>> system seems to work OK, but the Mac hangs up on outside connections,
>> try adjusting the MTU to 1492 on the Mac.  I guarantee that the
>> current settings have MTU set to 1500.  I have _no_ experience with
>> Macs, so I couldn't tell you how to accomplish that.
>
>Thanks Bryan.
>
>That means I have to change all machines in my LAN to have MTU be 1492.
>
>Err... I see. NAT is solely address translation, no "re-frame" :)
>
>BTW, how to change MTU in windows machines as I also have NT box in the LAN.

I exported the registry key in question. These settings are from
win98. Use this as a guide as to where to find your NIC settings. The
MaxMTU setting below is not present in the registry out of the box,
you have to add it by hand.  (And people think windows is easier to
use!)  NT probably has different registry key names that handle NIC
behavior.

By the way, if you plan to use Samba to map windows network drives,
again, you'll have trouble with the out of the box settings.  NT with
service pack 3 and greater and win98 encrypt the network logon
passwords, and Samba gags on them.  You have to enable
"allowplaintextpasswords" (this is from memory) on the windows
machines and Samba will allow access to the drives.

Microsoft's knowledge base actually has a good article on the
subject.  Search there for samba and you should come up with the right
article.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0002]
"DriverDesc"="TCP/IP"
"InfSection"="MSTCP.ndi"
"IPAddress"="192.168.1.3"
"IPMask"="255.255.255.0"
"DeviceVxDs"="vtdi.386,vip.386,vtcp.386,vdhcp.386,vnbt.386"
"InstallVnbt"="0"
"InfPath"="NETTRANS.INF"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDate"=" 5-11-1998"