Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 21:02:27 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird story with dump | restore

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 08:48:30AM -0800, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> A few more details please.  Are you having problems when you are
> dumping from a file system formatted as above, or is it a restore
> going to this type of file system, or are both the source and destination
> file system formatted as above?
>
> EXACTLY what dump/restore pipeline command did you run?
>
> I'll try to duplicate this here... I suspect a blocking/unblocking
> operation is highly un optimized to deal with these large block size
> file systems and/or your exasting a kernel resource during this
> operation.

The source filesystems were both standard with bsize 8192 and fsize
1024. Target filesystems were nonstandard.

I umounted the source filesystem, in the exact case /usr (/dev/ad0s1e),
then mounted target filesystem to /mnt, cd to /mnt and

dump -0a -f - /dev/ad0s1e | restore rf -
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee