Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:52:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
Cc:        toasty@home.dragondata.com (Kevin Day), tlambert@primenet.com, des@flood.ping.uio.no, dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

:Kevin Day wrote,
:> The only thing that has worked for me, where in a client configuration like
:> that that *will* recover from an nfs server reboot is setting '-d'. (Dumb
:> Timer). It will essentially disable the timeout code, which is where half of
:> FreeBSD's nfs problems are, i believe.
:
:But are most of the problems people have with NFS really isolated to
:FreeBSD's implamentation? I have seen my share of NFS-weirdness on our
:IRIXes[0]. My favorite one being that on a group of machines that are
:brought down and up with some frequency, they must be brought up and
:down in the correct order. Now bringing them up in order is one thing,
:but its a pain when one refuses to shut down gracefully when one of
:the others has gone down before it.
:
:[0] Not that IRIX is a model of network stability.
:--
:Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@home.com

    IRIX doesn't have the best NFS implementation in the world, at least
    not when we were using it a year or two ago (IRIX 6.2ish).

    Solaris is the benchmark NFS implementation that most people test
    their stuff on.

    For FreeBSD, the problem with NFS stems from a crappy initial
    implementation.  Fixing it is not easy, though we are making progress.
    Rewriting it is out of the question... nobody has that kind of time
    and it would be several man-months worth of work.

    					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>