Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:14:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eureka! Pasting into netscape

Studded:

Thanks for posting this. It is a great help. I have just downloaded and
installed Netscape 4.05, and am getting used to it.

I was lamenting that there seemed to be no universal cross-application cut
and paste the way there is in Windows. Well I guess I was wrong.

I am sure that its behaviour is a different in X. Are you using XFree86 or
another X-application?

When copying to the clipboard are you limited to one screenfull, or is
there an equvialent of the Windows "select all" function?

Another problem I have been having is that Netscape downloads a file at
the click of the mouse when the browser has opened a http connection, but
with a ftp connection open through the browser, a mouse click gives an
ascii download to the browswer window.

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Studded wrote:

> I post to -questions because I've asked this question several times,
> and to -newbies to show that even old hands learn something new
> occasionaly. :) If you have a question, follow up to -questions, if you
> want to commiserate, follow up to -newbies, and if you want to flame me,
> don't bother.

Do you mean that there is also a -newbies list?

> 	I love netscape and use it in X for mail, news and of course, web
> browsing. The only thing I didn't like about it was that I couldn't
> paste into netscape from other parts of X. It was making me batty. What
> I was doing was what I learned somewhere, swiping with mouse button one
> to highlight what I wanted, clicking once with mouse button one to copy
> the text to the clipboard and then clicking once with the middle button
> to paste. This worked fine for EVERY app except netscape.
>
> 	So, the other day I'm upgrading to netscape 4.05 and decided to test
> the pasting problem, just in case. Well, after being bitterly
> disappointed I decided to try something just to see if it works. I don't
> remember why I wanted to try this idea, but anyway what I did was
> highlight the text in the xterm and *leave* it highlighted. Then I
> clicked in netscape with the middle button and Voila! It pasted. You
> can't imagine my joy. :)
>
> 	I am sure many of you are thinking, "Well duh!" and that's fine. Many
> people told me various solutions, none of which worked, so I wanted to
> get the answer that works in the archive. For the new users, my moral is
> simple, never give up. :)  Try things that sound loopy, one of them just
> might work. (But make sure you have good backups first!)
>
> Hope this is useful for someone,

Very useful for me. Can't wait to try it out.

> Doug
> --
> ***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
> *** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet
> ***    Relay Chat server with 5,328 simultaneous connections.
> *** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)

I have never tried IRC. If you e-mail me how to instructions, I might find
the time to try it out.