Date:      Sun, 07 Jan 2001 06:45:01 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        B <brentb@loa.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var drive space problem

In message <Pine.BSF.4.31.0101070540410.12363-100000@sdmail0.sd.bmarts.c
om>, Go
rdon Tetlow writes:
> On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, B wrote:
>
> > i have a recently upgraded FreeBSD 4.2 from 4.1...and my problem is that im
>  runing out of space on the /var partition (i recieve alot of system mail  in
>  that partition which i have to delete daily to keep it at 99%) ..im not sure
>  what i can delete to make room...although if i go to
> > /var/tmp       theres a dir thats called "temproot" ..i think it was from w
> hen i CVS the new 4.2 src..and installed....can i delete this dir???  this is
>  the dir structure under /var
> >
> > account/        crash/          games/          msgs/           rwho/
>      yp/
> > at/             cron/           log/            preserve/       spool/
> > backups/        db/             mail/           run/            tmp/
> >
> > if anyone has any suggestions.... they would be greatly appreciated.....
>
> Do this:
> cd /var
> du -s *
>
> This should give you an idea of which directories are consuming the space
> and let you prune accordingly.

My favourite approach, assuming you've installed the xdu port, is,

du -k . | xdu

This saves me from recursing through what I think might be the
offending directory tree, reducing a 1-5 minute job, depending on how
far down the tree the problem is, down to mere seconds.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC