Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:32:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      dc@coppock.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/9546: packages via ftp.freebsd.org using /stand/sysinstall not available for 3.0-RELEASE

>Number:         9546
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       packages via ftp.freebsd.org using /stand/sysinstall not available for 3.0-RELEASE
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I installed 3.0-RELEASE via boot floppy, over the network from
ftp.freebsd.org last night.  No prob.  Today I'm attempting to
pull in a few more packages via /stand/sysinstall, and after
the 'logging in to ftp@ftp.freebsd.org' it comes back and tells
me
  'Unable to get packages/INDEX file from  selected media.
   This may be because the packages collection is not available at
   on the distribution media you've chosen (most likely an FTP site
   without the packages collection mirrored)...'

I suspect something has changed with your ftp site sometime since
last night, and I half-way expect things to clear up shortly.  But
after a few hours of re-attempts, I decided to send this report.

It looks like I'm having success from ftp2.freebsd.org
(mirror.neosoft.com).
>How-To-Repeat:
Attempt to get packages listing, using /stand/sysinstall on a
3.0-RELEASE installation, utilizing the ftp.freebsd.org media source.
>Fix:
Possibly some link on the ftp site got mucked.