Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:29:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB/umass in addition to "other" SCSI

>Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 18:33:07 +0100 (BST)
>From: Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
>To: Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
>Cc: <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
>Subject: Re: USB/umass in addition to "other" SCSI
>
>On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>> Hello -scsi:
>> How do I "connect" a USB "disk" when I already have a SCSI
>> HBA & other peripherals installed & operating?
>
>It should appear of its own accord when usbd sees it.

Ah, so usbd is what "makes the connection?"  (It would seem
so, but I can't find this documented just yet...)

>However, this doesn't appear to work properly at present.

Worked here...

>>  And what will (should :) be its device-name (in /dev)?
>
>/dev/daX*  where X is the next available number

Confirmed...

>> USB devices in this case can be a ZIP-250 USB and/or a USB
>> digital camera (which mounts just fine in Linux 2.4.x & is
>> seen as a MS-DOS filesystem).
>>
>> Umass, scbus, da & pass are configured into the running kernel.
>> OS is RELENG_4 as of 1 July.
>>
>> "Camcontrol rescan 0" doesn't show it(?)  But I'm thinking
>> this will be a different bus(?)
>
>Yes.

Ummm-hmmm - usbd "connected" umass to da*.

>> & "camcontrol rescan 1" gives me an ioctl() error.
>
>I haven't found a method that works other than to have the
>device present at boot time.

You don't mention your OS "patchlevel."  Maybe some
maintenance has fixed your problem?  Zip-250 USB seems
working ok now...

>> I'm guessing that I should probably "wire down" my devices
>> (or at least the USB one?) in my kernel config, but before I
>
>More important to wire down the hard drives - having your
>root filesystem mounted from the camera is more traumatic
>than having the camera pop up at an unexpected id.

Sounds sensible; other than that I guess you could just
make sure your usb devices are disconnected at boot...

>> do that I could use some input from Someone Who Know More
>> About This Than I(tm). :)  That, & I'm not sure about the
>> kernel-config syntax for this...
>
>I am far from an expert in this area, but I am successfully
>using a USB smartmedia reader on a system that also has
>SCSI discs.
>
>I have the disc wired down:
>
># SCSI Controllers
>device      sym0        # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)
># SCSI peripherals
>device      scbus       # SCSI bus (required)
>device      da      # Direct Access (disks)
>device      sa      # Sequential Access (tape etc)
>device      cd      # CD
>device      pass        # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
># Wire down the boot disc to avoid being usurped by USB peripherals!
>device  scbus0 at sym0
>device  da0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0
>
>If your camera has the usual formatting for smartmedia or
>compact-flash, it will have an fdisk table and a DOS
>filesystem in the first slice, so you want something like:
>
>mount -t msdos /dev/da1s1 /mnt
>
>to mount it when the drive has popped up at da1.

Oops!  This Does Not Work Here. :-/  Camera (Olympus) has
SmartMedia card; usbd does properly sense camera attachment
& make/model, but if I try to mount it, the OS reboots(!)
I tried using fdisk to look at the camera's "filesystem"
but got an "invalid sector size" & then "synchronize cache
failed" in syslog.  Here's the relevant syslog:

Jul  4 13:48:01 <kern.crit> myname /kernel: da3: invalid sector size 3273166177
Jul  4 13:48:01 <kern.crit> myname /kernel: (da3:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Synchronize
cache failed, status == 0x10, scsi status == 0x0

Restating, if I try to mount that da3 device (the USB
camera with SmartMedia) I get what appears to be a lockup &
the system reboots. :(

Ideas?  (Maybe some other list I should ask?)

-kc