Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 03:25:37 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HPGL format

> > > Does anyone know how to convert this to something a bit more standard?
> >
> > Like what?
>
> Gif, or some other image.

Ok, so you want to rasterise it.

> > MS Word for Windows 2.0 had a reasonable HPGL import
> > module; it wasn't shipped with 6.0 but worked OK there too.  You ended
> > up with a WMF embedded in your Word document, but couldn't do much more
> > with it.
>
> Hmm, could I cut/paste from it into something like paint-brush, and end
> up with a GIF/TIF from it?

You could take a screen grab of it, but not, AFAIR, at any other
resolution.  ie. the rasteriser generated the image at screen
resolution for display, and printer resolution for printing, but not at
some arbitrary resolution for cut-n-paste.

> > Short of that, write your own HPGL parser; it's pretty trivial(*).
>
> It'd be easier to print the darn thing and scan it, but we'd rather not
> lose the resolution in the process.

Understood.  How big is the image?  Various ugly thoughts come to mind
(eg. write a parser in Tcl, render the image onto a canvas and then
dump the canvas as Postscript), but many of them are a bit gutless.

Someone else here may have written an HPGL rasteriser of course.

mike