Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:31:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        chris@cwaiken.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New FreeBSD Help Needed

> Sorry to bother you.  As a new FreeBSD user I posted
> several questions on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc that
> have gone unanswered, so I thought I would give you a
> try.
>
> 1)  My FreeBSD box is up and running 24/7.  My wife
> knows absolutely nothing about computers.  I would like
> to set the F12 or Ctrl-Alt-Del key up to do a system
> "halt" so that when I'm at the office and we have a
> storm in our area, my wife could just press F12 or
> Crtl-Alt-Del and safely "halt" my system w/o file
> system damage.  Can this be easily done? I tried editing
> the keyboard file w/o any luck.

Any chance of just giving her the root password and telling her to
log in and type "shutdown -h now" when there's a problem?  If you're
good with code (or even mediocre, I guess), you could write a setuid
script or program to do it if you don't want her to have the root
password.  How to link it to a key to be executed from the shell,
though, hmm... I don't know.

Regarding the other questions, I don't know.  Sorry.  :)

--
Derrick Baumer
bduk@earthlink.net