Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 22:14:32 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: md panic (follow-up)

At 12:33 PM 10/16/00 -0500, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
>Scenario:
>
>Needed a larger md mount.  Added the following line to the kernel config:
>
>options     MD_NSECT=40000
>
>Rebuilt
>reboot
>
>Here's the interesting part, after the reboot, when md is configured and
>mounted there is no problem, other than it only having 20,000 sectors and
>not 40,000.  Guess I forgot to MAKEDEV...
>
>umount /tmp_ports
>kldunload md
>sh MAKEDEV md0
>kldload md
>disklabel -r -w md0 auto
>newfs /dev/md0c
>Panic!

Finally re-visited this...

Found that compiled in md support will not cause this panic and also uses
the MD_NSECT value.  Is there a reason why the kld version does not?

If there is, then a disclaimer should be added to LINT:

*** LINT.orig   Wed Nov  8 19:32:39 2000
--- LINT        Sun Nov 12 22:12:40 2000
*** 674,677 ****
--- 674,678 ----

   # Specify double the default maximum size for malloc(9)-backed md devices.
+ # (this option will have no effect on the kld module)
   options       MD_NSECT=40000

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve