Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 1996 05:39:13 -0800
From:      gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: large files

Wolfram Schneider wrote in message ID
<199601081115.MAA16136@caramba.cs.tu-berlin.de>:

> On FreeBSD 2.0 I can mmap only file less than 2GB (SSIZE_MAX alias
> INT_MAX). On FreeBSD 2.1 I can't write(2) to files larger than 2GB
> (and don't test if mmap works with 2GB files).
>
> Why?

Because of various restrictions in the kernel, files >>2Gb aren't
supported anyhow. I believe John Dyson has commited fixes to -current
to increase this limit. (AFAIR, the file offset is kept as a signed
int in the kernel, and the negative offsets are used to keep file
metadata. If you look through the mail list archives, you may find
discussions on this - I know that when we first fixed the code to
support 1Tb FS's there was a discussion about file sizes).

Writing to a file past the 2Gb point would have rather unpredictable
results as you could probably understand, which is why the mmap()
restriction is there also.

Yours

Gary