Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:16:39 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.rit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Paul C. Boyle" <paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: 4.5 ISO Not consitant. I must press the issue.

Matt Penna wrote:

> At 11:46 AM 2/26/02 -0500, Paul C. Boyle wrote:
>
>> I admit I am a newbie using FreeBSD. But I enjoy the community very much.
>> I was using the 4.4 install of FreeBSD for a while, I had a few buggy
>> things
>> with it like the cdplayer in KDE did not work. Not a big deal really
>> but I
>> thought practice installing from scratch is good experience. I got a
>> friend
>> to download and burn the 4.5 iso's for me since I only have a 33.6
>> dial up.
>> My problem starts with no KDE internet utilities for dialup on the disks.
>> I want to install and get up and running quickly not have to find and
>> learn
>> an new dialup tool. Man was I pissed.  All of the other KDE packages were
>> not on the cd's as well.
>

> Paul,
>
> There was a mistake in the 4.5-Release ISOs and a lot of KDE packages
> were inadvertently left out. This question was just answered this
> morning in the thread "KDE and FreeBSD ISO's."
>
> You can find a list of the missing packages - and other problems with
> the release - here:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/errata.html
>
> I don't know KDE that well, but chances are the functionality you're
> missing can be found in the omitted packages.
>
> Probably the easiest way to install them would be to use the ports
> collection, though I'm sure pre-compiled packages are available.

I think this is the only route right now. I checked when I replied to
the iso question and I checked while I was typing this and KDE-2.2.2
is not available as a package set. The packages are on the order of
40-50 MB and source is a little bit smaller but still about the same
size.

Kdelibs2 has patch file changes dated 21 Jan and that is a week after
4.5 was produced. So, even if the tarballs had made it on to 4.5, you
have to build the fixed, current version.

I built my copy of the package tarballs on 22 Jan. I have some P-400
class machines that building kde seems to take forever and that is
where my packages come in. I only consume major resources on the 2-AMD
1600+ XP's, which I can build the kde modules in parallel. I can build
all of them faster than one of the longer running module builds takes
on the P-400.

You have to configure kscd. Your cdrom will be /dev/acd0c or
/dev/cdrom if you have linked the two. The default is a cdrom that "no
body" uses any more but that is the choice in the setup from kde.org.

I actually prefer xmcd over kscd. Each of the cd players has their own
set of quirks. I think you end up with the one that has the quirks
that bother you the least.

The only comment I can make on MSes consistency is to consider all of
the new installs of W2K that are still being done and are infected by
Code Red or Nimda before they can download the system patches from MS
windows update. I see around two poorly configured W2K systems
everyday when they hit my Apache installation. All it does is add
entries to my error log.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart