Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 23:27:37 +0200
From:      "Bruno Campanelli" <bcampanelli@quipo.it>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   problem after installation of X11R6 (XFree86) on FreeBSD 4.2 Walnut Creek CD-ROM

 I purchased a full 4.2 Release package (november 2000) of freeBSD from
 Walnut Creek,including 'The Complete FreeBSD" book.
 I made the installation succesfully from the 1st CD-ROM,but when I attempt
 to start the X-Server (XFree86,release 3.3.3), with startx or xinit,it
 reports the following (last lines of) message (between dashed lines):
-----
 Fatal server error:
 xf86openconsole:KDENABIO failed (Operation not permitted)
 X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
-----
The redirection of neither stdout nor stderr does work,so I am not able to
include further output  than the above.
I'm logged on as root in the main text window.
I also tried by modifying /etc/ttys at the following line (make a virtual
terminal off-ed):

ttyv7    "/usr/libexec/getty/ Pc" cons25 off secure

but it doesn't work.
I tried with various configuration (from VGA to SVGA) with various graphic
card and monitor settings, I think I provided the exact ones.
Notice that,during the installation phase from CD-ROM,the
X-Server test starts succesfully,using XF86_SVGA  X server
properly configured via XF86Setup!
I have a Compaq Presario PC with an AMD Duron 700Mhz cpu,20GB Hard Disk all
allocated to FreeBSD (with root,swap and /usr slices),
128 MByte RAM,an NVIDIA Riva TNT2 graphics accelerator card with 16Mb of
memory,and a COMPAQ MV740 17 inch CRT color monitor.

Thank You for the patience and assistance You would be of.

Mr Bruno Campanelli

---
[Quipo ISP - Questa E-mail e' stata controllata dal programma Declude Virus]
[Quipo ISP - This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]