Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:32:01 +0800
From:      Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDRom able to play DVD movies

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:58:34 -0500
Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 July 2003 09:54 pm, Neu, Benjamin S. wrote:
> > Nope! A cd-rom is built (hardware wise) for CD's not DVD's!
>
> I wanted to be sure - someplace, somewhere I heard, that under
> windows, this could be done. Heh - I musta overheard that from some
> other users in passing - I was sure that wasn't the case, but in a day
> where you can purchase software (windows-wize) to boost your internet
> speed, blah, blah, blah - I just had to ask.
>
> Thanks for confirming what I had expected all along.

I think I know the source of your confusion. There is a Windows program
(or probably more than one program by now) which lets you pop a DVD into
your DVD drive, and it converts the files into a format that you can
burn onto CD-R - in other words, it lets you create a pair of VCDs from
a single DVD. And of course, VCDs can be played in a normal CD drive.

regards,
Robert