Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:03:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Young <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
Cc:        jesper.b@home.se, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Access && Modem

On Friday,  3 September 1999 at 13:16:55 +1000, Young wrote:

It would help if you would quote the text to which you're replying.  I
have no idea what Jesper said.

> I'm a relative newbie to this stuff too so I can only provide very
> limited assistance with setup stuff. I had a devil of a problem
> getting modem dialup working at all, even after reading everything
> known to mankind. The Pedantic PPP Primer is easily the most
> intelligible doc I'm aware of, and most of the other ppp related
> docs linked to http://www.free.bsd.org, are probably worth a read,
> but they weren't anywhere near explicit or relevant enough to my
> situation to help me get the thing working.  Even after trying every
> possible combination & permutation of configurations I couldn't get
> ping, traceroute, or lynx to work and had completely run out of
> ideas. The thing that finally helped me get it online with ping,
> traceroute & lynx working was a shell script from
> ftp://flag.blackened.net, ,but it certainly wasn't the end to the
> troubles.

As I said before, you should try "The Complete FreeBSD".  I also
haven't seen any relevant information in your questions.

> Apparently that script enables something called "auto mode", which
> is something suited to yankee conditions but not Australian ones,

That's not correct.  Auto mode is well suited to dialins where you pay
for time, like most Australian ISPs.

> so now I'm trying to figure out the rather obtuse comments in the
> ppp.conf.sample file so I can disable an idletimer which insists on
> breaking the connection the instant no data is moving.

OK, I was trying to stay out of this (I have plenty of other stuff to
do), but will you finally post your ppp.conf file?

> I don't know how your phone system works in Sweden, or what sort of
> ISP account you have, but that will determine what ppp mode you will
> need to use.

I wish I knew what you're thinking here, but the way a POTS line works
has nothing to do with it.  The only question is cost: does it cost
money (either to the phone company or the ISP) to stay connected, or
doesn't it?  If it does, use -auto.  If it doesn't, use -ddial.

> A lot of experts frown on internal modems, however I've had no
> trouble at all with them so its more a matter of choice than
> anything else.

The only problem with internal modems is that they don't have any
lights on them.  This makes it more difficult to debug problems.  When
things are working, they're just as good.

> With 56k internal ones however, you do need to be certain you
> haven't got one of the ones designed specifically for Windows, as
> those ones typically won't work in any other operating system.

The so-called Winmodems don't even work well with Microsoft.

> I haven't tried copying files from / to a DOS partition in BSD, but
> in linux its easy enough if you tell the system about the partition
> during installation and you install a 20th century window type
> manager like KDE so you can just "drag & drop" files from A to
> B. With CLI mode its another story entirely and something I avoid
> like the plague.

This doesn't put you in a very good position to be offering advice.
I'm not in a good position on this one, either, because I don't know
what the original problem was.  There's no particular issue with
copying files under FreeBSD.  But you don't administer a UNIX system
with drag and drop.

> My BSD machine is only a CLI one as its only used as a gateway /
> router, and for that matter I've seen many total lockups in KDE /
> linux to speak highly of it personally .... maybe its OK in BSD, but
> not something I've had reason to investigate.  My desktop machines
> run Win98 / 2000 / Solaris which do what i need quite well leaving
> the BSD one to do what I guess it should do quite well.

Fine.  But remember that there are other people on this list who know
more about the subject than you do.  You should read the frequent
posting "How to get best results", which will be coming through again
this evening.  You can also pick it up at
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.  A couple of quotes:

  How to answer a question

  Before you answer a question to FreeBSD-questions, consider:

   5.  Are you sure your answer is correct? If not, wait a day or
       so. If nobody else comes up with a better answer, you can still
       reply and say, for example, ``I don't know if this is correct,
       but since nobody else has replied, why don't you try replacing
       your ATAPI CD-ROM with a frog?''.

   7.  Include relevant text from the original message. Trim it to the
       minimum, but don't overdo it. It should still be possible for
       somebody who didn't read the original message to understand
       what you're talking about.

Greg