Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 21:20:53 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: R-Day, 15th October, 1998 (BST or similar ;-)

At 10:47 PM 10/15/98 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
>It looks like there will be a snapshot of FreeBSD/Alpha at about the
>3.0-RELEASE level, out at about the same time.  I don't think it will
>be described as RELEASE quality (we're not a Linux vendor after all).

So 3.0-RELEASE is a release, but not of the normal variety.

>The new loader will be installed.  The new boot blocks will be
>available, but will not be installed.  The new loader will not be
>*used* by default.

Gotcha.

>> Further will 'make world'/'make buildworld' automagically install the new
>> load on 3.0 if the sysinstall does not?
>
>Yes.

Following what sysinstall does in the first place.

>The principal goals for the next few months will be to complete the
>current development push and stabilise the existing feature set.  We'll
>branch before 3.0.5 or whatever it's called in February or so, at which
>point aggressive development will move to the 3.1 branch and the
>-stable tag will transition to the 3.0.x branch.

Ah, so the 3.x -stable branch will not appear for while and RELENG_3(?)
won't appear for a while.  Been expecting to cvsup from -current anyways
should there be any issue.

>As Jordan has already expounded, the 3.0-RELEASE is meant to put the
>mostly-complete current feature set out to a wider audience; to get it
>used in real-world conditions and on the radar screens of commercial
>vendors, etc.  It holds much of the shape of things to come in many
>ways, even though it is in and of itself not a complete thing.

Fully understood and plan to run with it on a fairly loaded dual-PPro web
server.  They way things look now, any problems should be related to the
site's cgi, which is undergoing a rewrite by myself to fix some problems.

"FreeBSD, no warranty, no official tech support, but assures satisfaction."

8-)

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net